The whole knife thing got me wondering about knife superstitions since I knew there was something about how f you receive a gift of knives you have to pay the giver 0.01$ per knife so that the knife doesn’t “cut” your friendship.
Here’s what I found:
- The dropping of a knife foretells the visit of a man friend in the near future.
- And a variation on that one: Dropping silverwear will make company come. Drop a spoon and the company will be female, drop a fork and the company will be male. Dropping a knife will break the spell.
- A knife placed under the bed during childbirth will ease the pain of labor.
- Never give a knife as a housewarming present, or your new neighbor will become an enemy.
- It’s bad luck to make a present of a knife or any other sharp instrument unless you receive something in exchange.
- Never say thank you when handed a knife or you’ll cut yourself.
- Do not use knives or scissors on New Year's Day as this may cut off fortune
- A knife as a gift from a lover means that the love will soon end.
That last one is a bit unfortunate since Mr. Jazz gave me the infamous Sanelli slicer. And as of yesterday we have been together 19 years. Good thing I’m not superstitious or I’d have to say, well, it was fun while it lasted.