Nevertheless, our borough is now gearing up for a municipal by-election. Our borough mayor was obliged to resign amid much huffing and puffing and rightous indignation by, well, basically everyone who wasn't him.
You see, while he was mayor he misspent our money. Big surprise eh? It's never been done before, right? But him? He spent it on booze. Oh my! I'm thinking there's a bit of envy involved since most people didn't have access to the Glenffidich single malt.
According to media reports, the receipts reveal Outremont spent between $6,500 and $7,500 from January to June 2007, including more than $1,000 on 12-year old Glenfiddich Highland scotch single malt.
That would make the borough's alcohol budget the highest among all city boroughs, even though Outremont is the smallest and least populous on the island, according to Montreal newspaper La Presse.
The alcohol was allegedly consumed by Outremont's borough council and invited guests in a private lounge on the second floor of the council's headquarters.
Borough director Pierre Beaudet told the CBC's French language service that comparing Outremont's spending on booze with other municipalities is misleading because the others include the cost of alcohol in their catering budgets.
And so, Harbour had to resign and now pays for his Glenfiddich himself. Personally, though I dislike the taste of scotch, the smell is nice and I'd go for Lagavuline or Cragganmore.
And so, we have another election coming up. Hopefully the new mayor will be more discrete about his or her spending, or at any rate make sure it gets buried in the budget. Cause I can't take many more of these elections.
In other news, a ton of things you probably never wanted to know about your body:
- Your body has more bacteria than cells.
- In one day, a human sheds 10 billion skin flakes. This amounts to approximately two kilograms in a year.
- Every square inch of the human body has about 19,000,000 skin cells.
- Every hour one billion cells in the body must be replaced.
- The human body makes anywhere from 1 to 3 pints of saliva every 24 hours.
- The human body has approximately 37,000 miles of capillaries.
- The adult human body requires about 88 pounds of oxygen daily.
- The width of your armspan stretched out is the length of your whole body.
- There are as many hairs per square inch on your body as a chimpanzee. You don't see all of them because most are too fine and light to be noticed.
- The ashes of the average cremated person weigh 9 pounds
- The human body can survive longer without food than without sleep. While starvation takes a few weeks you would die after about 10 days without sleep.
- The human heart creates enough pressure to squirt blood 30 feet.
- You blink about 84 million times in a year.
"Sometimes the appropriate response to reality is to go insane" Philip K. Dick