Tuesday, June 06, 2006

It's the end of the world as we know it...

I’m fascinated by the fascination people have with things that are even slightly out of their daily routine.

Yesterday, as I entered the mall to go catch the subway I saw a huge crowd of people peering down into the lower level. I raised my eyes and saw the same thing on the upper level – about 50 people looking down.

When I finally managed to make my way to the lower level and the subway, I saw what all the fuss was about. Two or three people were standing in front of Zellers yelling at each other, surrounded by Zellers employees who were most likely trying to stop them from strangling each other.

This was causing a massive pileup of people, all standing there watching. Watching what? An argument.

What the hell is the point to that? I seriously don’t get it. Am I not curious enough? Sure, I’ll have a look, but between that and standing around watching… I just don’t see the point – or the interest. Do these people have so little going on in their lives that this is the high point of the day?

The same thing happens on the highway. Drives me insane when traffic is blocked up for kilometres because of an accident on the other side of the highway. We aren’t involved; we don’t have to slow down to go around it. Nope people are stopping on a fuckin’ highway to look at an accident! Is it an “oh-cool-maybe-I’ll-get-to-see-blood-and-gore” thing? If so, it’s just sick.

But then, who the hell am I to judge – except of course when it takes me double the time to get to the cottage because of the rubberneckers.

Remember, today is 6-6-6 day. Apparently all sorts of nutjobs are calling for the apocalypse. Today the beast will be unleashed on the world. Evil will triumph (as if it hadn’t already). Repent, repent. If they’re right, well, it was nice knowing you. If not, we’ll just wait for their next end of the world announcement. It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine*... Stay tuned.


* Thank you REM

1 comment:

Hageltoast said...

ah, the rubber neckers, god love 'em, and line 'emup against a wall and shoot 'em. I agree 100% on this one hun.