Wednesday, April 18, 2007

The Virginia Tech Blog (of course)

On his blog today, Neil wrote about the Virginia Tech shootings.

When the same thing (albeit on a much smaller scale) happened at Dawson College in Montreal, I blogged about it too.

We both seem to have the same problem with this type of event : the media. Diane Sawyer’s comments regarding the shooting were ridiculous, and, to my mind, terribly insensitive. Today we are all family? I think not. We might be sympathetic to their pain, but family? No.

A local Montreal TV channel trotted out people involved in the Dawson shooting to give “advice” to the Viginia Tech students on how to deal with the situation. I highly doubt those kids were watching Montreal TV the evening of the killings. So for whose benefit was this show?

It's not that I don't feel for the students and for the families of the dead. I do. I can't begin to understand how horrific this must be for them.

But there’s a whole nasty hovering vulture quality to the coverage of such events that totally disgusts me.

But hey, they need the ratings. Who am I to say.*


Update: It seems Philip Van Cleave of the Virginia Citizen's Defense League has gone on record saying that if everyone was armed, someone would have taken care of shooting the VTech killer before he did his grisley work (see here - unfortunately it's in French). Sounds like a great idea. Let's arm everyone, that way we can have a mega shooting spree and may the last man standing win... I give up. Really.


* And once again my nasty cynicism rears its ugly head....

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate how they always name these events and create graphics for them, like "The Virginia Tech Massacre."

ticknart said...

If only there were a television news source that didn't depend ratings and advertisers so it could actually report the news and not sensationalize it.

Of course, for that to actually happen humans would have to become animals and apes would have to rule the world. Until the apes become to dependant on profits and then the rhinos will rise up to continue the cycle.

Big Brother said...

Not for nothing that they're called media vultures.

Tai said...

It's such a deeply sad event. Shame on the media for making money on it.

Susan Tuttle said...

Excellent thoughts--I concur.

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and for your kind comments!

Susan

geewits said...

I'm with you, Jazz. Notice I haven't mentioned it at all on my blog. I'm sad these young people died, but haven't the same amount of people died in Iraq in the last few months? The best outcome of this is that people will FINALLY start noticing these detached, repressed individuals and get help for them. (Yeah, right)

choochoo said...

I agree. One thing is to cover the case, another thing is going all vulture on its ass. They just pick and pick and pick and show everything over and over and over.

I heard the shooter's parents were both hospitalised because of the trauma they suffered. I feel bad for them...

Ian Lidster said...

A well considered and thoughtful blog. I commend you for the thoughts on a disgusting and over-the-top media response to the Virginia Tech tragedy. Another aspect of this is, of course, setting the pattern for 'copycat-ism' by obsessing about this and giving it every ounce of play. I have been in the media for 30-plus years, but am still often angered by that sort of irresponsiblity. Good for you for stating your thoughts.

Ian

Evil Spock said...

I've stopped getting my news from the MSM. The internet is all I need at this point.

God, I want to see the movie "Hot Fuzz" this weekend, but with everything going on, I think they should postpone the flick until next week.

Hageltoast said...

I hate the way the media always treats it as an exciting drama rather than a terrible tragedy. When two schoolgirls were murdered in the uk there was all this press coverage about how the whole was grieving, what?!? Everyone was i am sure shocked and sad that it happened in our town, but talk about media drama. Yuck. The whole thing leaves a bad taste. Anyway, rant done. People suck, gun control should be tighter and being weird, a loner, dark and creative does not mean you are going to start shooting people.

Jazz said...

Rhea - Yeah, that is nasty.

Tick - Actually, I've gotten to the point where I figure the best thing that could happen would be for humanity to destroy itself. Serve us right

BB - Though when you think of it, it's rather unfair to vultures, who perform a valuable task as picker uppers of rotting garbage. The media are more like the garbage in fact.

Tai - Hey, whereever the money is...

Susan - Welcome to my blog

Geewits - Amen, but then I know lots of detached, dark individuals who wouldn't hurt a fly

Choochoo - It must be totally horrific for the families. And to see this crap on tv on top of it...

Ian - Yeah, the whole copy-cat thing is scary. Sometimes I think it'll turn into a contest of the who can wipe out the most people sort.

Evil Spock - I saw a commerical for that movie yesterday. Let me know if it's any good.

Toast - Yeah, I have problems with the whole wierd loners could be deranged killers thing. God knows I know a lot of those...

Ian Lidster said...

Yep -- the old OK Corral syndrome so dear to the hearts of the NRA. Pry that one from their "cold dead hands." Good blog.

Ian

Smalltown RN said...

Ditto sister...I am with you 100%

Anonymous said...

I had to comment on your assertion that if more people were carrying guns on campus there would be a huge shootout. Can you show me where this has happened in the US? There are thousands of guns and gun owners at a gun show. Where are the shootouts, robberies and mayhem? Students in Colorado and Utah carry at colleges and universities. I don't remember hearing about all of those big shootouts there either.

If you stop and think about it, that's not the kind of thing that good people will do and most people are in the "good" category. It's the 5% of evil ones that you habe to be careful of, unfortunately.

Regards,
Philip Van Cleave
President
Virginia Citizens Defense League
president@vcdl.org