Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Almost there....

One more day of work and I'm off on vacation until May 14th. I'm not sure whether or not I'll have internet access during the first week, and I'll definitely not have it during the second, so please don't post too much so I don't have too much catching up to do when I get back.

Mr. Jazz, our friend G and I are going to Paris and Brussels for a week to see friends and catch a Marillion show (check their website here). The joys of having an airline spouse. We do have to travel standby, so it can be nerve wracking, but what the hell, if it gets me to Paris I'm game.

Marillion you ask? Or most likely don't. If it makes you feel better, no one in North America seems to know who they are, though every show I've been to in Montreal was packed. They're a really good British band who've been around for over 20 years.

"The band are renowned for having an extremely dedicated following with some fans regularly travelling significant distances (obviously it's not only Mr. Jazz and I) to attend single gigs, driven in large part by the close fan base involvement which the band cultivate via their website, podcasts, bi-annual conventions and regular fanclub publications." (from the lala.com article linked above)

Is it really bizarre that at my age I'm still a rabid fan of a rock band? Plus there is one amazing thing about them. A thing that's I've never seen anywhere else (except at a Steve Hackett show). During intermissions there is virtually no lineup for the women's loo. Probably 90% of attendees are male so no having to use the men's loo because the women's is so jammed you know you'll never get in. It's a definite plus....

Going to the show was obviously also a perfect excuse to catch up with friends (read: eat like pigs, drink ourselves silly and sleep an hour or two here and there).

The second week we'll be at our cottage recovering from jetlag, hangovers and way too much food and generally revelling in the fact that the winter? She is gone, bitch that she was.

See y'all when I get back!

20 comments:

Big Brother said...

Rock Band...bahhh comme si comme ça. But Paris in May, now there is something I could do with right now. I am so jealous, so green with envy I look like Kermit the frog. ;o) Have a safe and happy trip with Mr. Jazz, lil' sister and "profites-en ben"

choochoo said...

I wanna be on vacation, too. Hang on.... I kinda sorta am

Ian Lidster said...

I'm seething with envy. I love Brussels and want to go back, even though I was just there in November. And I am still a huge rock fan -- real rock-and-roll, the kind that moves my soul.
Bon voyage!!

Ian

Jazz said...

BB - OK, we all know that for you the day the music died is right after the baroque period. You're missing out.

Choochoo - You're ALWAYS on vacation except for the 20 days a year you study.

Ian - Marillion would move your soul.

Hageltoast said...

he knows you know.
anyway, have a great hol, we are holidaying those two weeks too so see you when we all get home. :)

kimber said...

Another band to check out! There are so many good ones that just don't get the publicity they deserve -- which, in light of the loo-lineup, is probably better for those who currently love them.

Enjoy Paris and Brussels! I've been to Paris on multiple occasions, but my only experience with Brussels was through the window of a train. It sounds like such a great city (at least, Ian makes it sound like a great city...)

Voyager said...

Rock on in Paris! Bon voyage.
V.

Jazz said...

Toast - Ah yes, you know... but you've got a helluva lot of catching up to do...about 10 albums.

Kimber - They are good, they are great, but I am biased... check them out.

Voyager - Thanks, I'll have a glass of wine on a terasse to your health.

ticknart said...

Jealousy welling up inside!

Paris! Concert! Cottage! Jetlag!

What great fun!

And only hurry back if you really miss work, otherwise, take your time.

Jocelyn said...

Oh, Jazz, we're gonna miss you, but what great reasons to be missed. I'll expect full reportage...and, c'mon, some photos? You know you can do it...

Do have fun! I'm sooooo envious.

Malnurtured Snay said...

TWO AN' A HALF WEEKS?!

I either am very jealous or hate you. Let you know as soon I know.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like great vacation plans. Y'all enjoy!

Dave said...

Just a quick note to say "hi" and to ask you to check out my blog for a quick post to let you know that I am still around and reading your blog! Cheers! :-)

Smalltown RN said...

see I never got into the rock thing and I know we are of the same era...nope just couldn't do it....now as far as your trip...yes totally jealous...hope you have a fabulous time...how could you not...take lots of photos to share.....

cheers

Evil Spock said...

Never to young to go to a show, though most shows I go to are in smaller clubs. I like the more intimate atmosphere as opposed to arena shows.

Tai said...

Ah, the continent...have a WONDERFUL time!

Jocelyn said...

Me again.

I'm ready for you to be back now.

choochoo said...

Hey, that's not true. I study for twice that.

Hageltoast said...

missing you!

Dave said...

Hey!... Nothing is wrong with being "Rabid" for anything you enjoy... Just ask all the thousands of fans at soccer, footbal, hockey, basketball and baseball games... Not to mention people like myself who have thousands of songs on iPods! :-)