Friday, March 14, 2008

Easy Friday Blogging

This I poached from Ian cause it seemed like a quick blog. Ha... Anyway...

1. What time did you get up this morning?
6:45 a.m.

2. Diamonds or pearls?
Pearls if I must choose one. I'm not much on stones, though technically pearls aren't stones at all, since they're organic but I won't bore you with the particulars of the oyster snot that goes into the making of pearls.

3. Last movie you saw in the theater?
"Dialogues avec mon jardiner" (Dialogues with my Gardener) - the story of two middle aged men, a painter and a gardener who knew each other as children and rekindle their friendship despite their totally different paths in life. French movie, so of course it doesn't end well. On the plus side, it stars two of my all time favourite actors: Daniel Auteuil and Jean-Pierre Dussolier .

4.What is/are your favorite TV shows?
Lost, Survivor, Amazing Race, Tout sur moi (a pseudo reality show where the actors play themselves but which is completley off the wall - Quebec's answer to Seinfeld as Mr. Jazz calls it). My televisual tastes definitely tend towards the lowbrow.

5. What do you usually have for breakfast?
OJ, Nature's Path Heritage Bite cereal (and no they're not paying me to plug their cereal, they should though, they have great organic cereal)

6. What is your middle name?
I guess the name I use. Being a good Quebecer of my generation, my first name is Mary (every little girl is Mary, every boy is Joseph) then Lilian.

7. What food do you dislike?
Liver. But I love foie gras. Go figure.

8. What is your favorite CD at the moment?
Porcupine Tree's Fear of a Blank Planet

9. What kind of car do you drive?
Toyota Matrix - but I prefer to be driven

10. Favorite sandwich?
Smoked meat (which I rarely have) or Tomato/Mayo/Cheddar on toasted bread

11. What characteristics do you despise?
Greed and avarice

12. Favorite item of clothing?
Meh... Jeans?

13. If you could go anywhere in the world for a vacation, where would you go?
Back to Vietnam I think.

14. What color is your bathroom?
At home: bright yellow, with white tile and a dark blue tile here and there. At the cottage: Yellow also, come to think of it. At first I put down green, ok, the tile is a pretty ugly green, the paint is a greeney yellow. It was like that when we bought it. I have to repaint eventually. But then I've had to repaint the appartment in town for the past several years and haven't done it yet.

15. Favorite brand of clothing?
Whatever more or less fits

16. Where would you want to retire?
The desert. Or the beach. Somewhere where I'll no longer have to deal with these shit winters.

17. Most memorable birthday?
40th. I jumped out of a plane to celebrate. Was I subconciously hoping to end it all? Dunno, but it was a huge thrill.

18. Favorite sport to watch?
Soccer. Always. Forever. And this summer is the Euro! Yay!

19. Furthest place you are sending this to?
Um... Cyberspace?

20. Who do you expect to respond?
Respond? As in comment? The usual suspects I suppose. If they actually make it far enough. This is daaaaaaaaaaaamn long...

21. Person you expect to respond first?
First commenter? Who the hell knows. What, am I omniscient? Do I see the future?

22. Favorite saying?
Don't know as I have one. Carpe diem?

23. When is your birthday?
June

24. Are you a morning person or a night person?
Night, though with my schedule I don't really get to be. I have early mornings forced upon me and I hate them with a passion.

25. What is your shoe size?
8.5 - 9 What kind of stupid question is that. I should've finished Josie's Proust questionnaire and posted that instead. It will come. Eventually

26. Pets?
Not any more. Except the cats I babysit for what seems the whole world.

27. What did you want to be when you were little?
A doctor, a pharmacist (I seem to have had a thing for drugs), chemist, a pilot and... get this: A NUN!!!!!!!!!! Needless to say I got over that particular folly really quickly. Bride of god? Not so much. The sex would be sorely lacking.

28. What are you today?
An overworked, thankfully not underpaid secretary. Oops, Administrative Assistant. Oops again, apparently that is now Administrative Professional. However you call it, I am the one who knows all - or so they seem to think. And who does NOT order your lunch for you. Get used to it.

29. What is your favorite candy?
It changes considerably from one day to the next. This week, Dolfin pink peppercorn dark chocolate has my vote. As well as their Cinnamon milk chocolate.

30. Your favorite flower?
Two: Anthuriums (aka flamingo lilies I think) and Birds of Paradise. Sorry for the links instead of pics, but I just can't face the idea of the download to Photofuckit and the upload back to here... Bleh. Anyway, my flowers, I like 'em exotic.

31.What is a day on the calendar you are really looking forward to?
March 28 when I'm off to Australia. On vacation. Three weeks of no work and mostly NO OVERTIME!!!!!

32. What are you listening to right now?
The annoyingly loud ventilation system.

33. What was the last thing you ate?
A Granny Smith apple I "borrowed" from the fridge at work. I asked around, it belonged to nobody, it became mine. Of course there aren't that many people in yet, so... But it's been there a week.... I guess I'll leave a note on the kitchen fridge saying I'll replace it if it was someone's... Of course, I might have forgotten it in the fridge myself, in which case I poached my own apple, can that be considered stealing then? So, on top of question 33, you got a fascinating glimpse into how my brain works (or doesn't) at this time of day, i.e. early morning.

34. Do you wish on stars?
Whatever for? Like it would work? And if it does it's because whatever you got was somehow in the works anyway. I'm neither romantic nor superstitious, so wishing on stars seems like a monumental waste of time. They're pretty though.

35. If you were a crayon, what color would you be?
Bright crimson if I could choose. Muddy brown is more probably though.

36. What is your pet peeve?
Deliberate stupidity. Some people, I swear, are stupid on purpose. I always have an almost irresistable urge to tear their heads off and thus put them our of their misery - and rid the world of another idiot for the rest of us. Luckily I don't give into the urge. I let them live. I'm nice like that.

37. Last person you spoke to on the phone?
Someone who called the office thinking it was the medical clinic. We get about 5 of these calls a day because one of our lines is just one number off from theirs. I swear, one day I'm going to tell them all that a place just opened up if they can rush to the clinic. Check your number people, it's not a tough concept to grasp! (see previous answer re deliberate stupidity)

38. Do you like the person/people you are sending this on to?
The only place it's being sent is Blogger. And Blogger hates me. So I hate it back. Except when it works

39. Favorite soft drink?
Does that mean soda or just no alcohol? Get back to me on that and I'll let you know

40. Favorite restaurant?
Don't really have one anymore. We hardly go to the restaurant since we bought the cottage 6 years ago. I guess Au Petit Resto would still have my vote. They make a kick ass salmon lasagna. Which I'm going to have next Thursday. Yum. Barring that, I'd say any decent Vietnamese restaurant has my vote.

41. Hair Color?
Salt and pepper (stupid expression, but I guess better than "getting pretty grey with stills some of the original dark colour mixed in"), rather more salty in front than in back. I keep wondering whether I should start dyeing it again but the thought of the upkeep just makes we want to sleep. Besides, I'm sure all those chemicals were leaching into my brain for years and years, which accounts for my becoming the cynical nasty person I am today. Ok, maybe not, I was born cynical, but it's the explanation I use when people ask me why I stopped dyeing my hair. They never know whether they should believe me or not. And I let them wonder. `Cause I'm cynical and nasty dontcha know.

42. Favorite day of the year?
Any day I'm not working does it for me

43. What was your favorite toy as a child?
I have no idea. I do remember a yellow plastic boat with blue wheels that BB used to torture me with. Other than that, I remember I loved to draw. Until I realized just how abysmally bad I am at it. I don't draw anymore. A stick man is about the extent of my talent, and even that is pushing it. I'm much better with words.

44. Summer or winter?
Summer. I guess that's no surprise.

45. Hugs or kisses?
Copying Ian's response on this: Both and then some.

46. Chocolate or vanilla?
Chocolate - but are we talking ice cream? 'Cause if so, any company that can't make a great vanilla ice cream can't make a great anything else ice cream. End of story.

47. Do you want your blog friends to carry this on?
If they want. If they're willing to spend the time - this is taking much longer than I thought it would.

48. When was the last time you cried?
When I saw Moday's "of course it didn't end well" French movie

49. What is under your bed?
Not quite sure. There are a couple of boxes of junk stored under there, but other than that I don't want to know.

50. Who is the friend you've had the longest?
Mr. Jazz's friends. Until I met them (many of them lifelong friends of his) the longest I had knows someone was five years. I found it incredibly bizarre to know people for 20 years other than family. Such is the life of the Air Force brat. This being said, it made me independant. I don't need friends, though they're nice to have, and I'm sure Air Force Bratitude helped me develop my lifelong love of reading. Books don't move.

51. What did you do last night?
Not a whole helluva lot. Worked late, got home 8ish, whined and collaged in my journal.

53. What are you afraid of?
Going blind

54. How many keys on your key ring?
No clue. Lots. Though I don't know what at least 3 or 4 of them open. And I have not the slightest idea why I keep them there. I also have 2-3 keyrings attached to my keyring. Maybe I should see a shrink about my keyring issues. Among other things.

55. How many years at your current job?
Over 14. It freaks me right the fuck out that I can stay in a job so long. Is it pure inertia or is it that I actually like it? I don't know which option is more terrifying.

56. Favorite day of the week?
Friday. Well obviously, who's going to say Monday?

57. How many states have you lived in?
None, I'm Canajian eh? 3 provinces

58. Do you make friends easily?
Superficially, yes. In reality no, not at all. I have lots of acquaintances I like a lot but very few people I really consider friends.

59. How many folks will you send this to?
No folks, Blogger will be the sole recipient if Blogger accepts and doesn't eat this.

60. Have the good things outweighed the bad in your life?
Definitely.

Have a gerat weekend everyone!

14 comments:

furiousBall said...

look at you... very similar tastes as my own - Porcupine Tree rocks!

Jazz said...

Furiousball - I only just discovered them. Mr. Jazz got that CD for his birthday. I love finding new bands.

ticknart said...

I'm surprised that your favorite day isn't Saturday or Sunday. Why'd you choose a day that go to work?

Rachel said...

that was a buttload of questions.
but your answers make all that reading worthwhile.

:)

Jazz said...

Ticknart - Um... Because I don't consider Saturday or Sunday to be days of the week since they,re sort of out of time? Damn, that's a good answer. The real answer is that it is Friday and it wasn,t even 8am so i was pretty much brain dead.

Rachel - You are just the sweetest thang!!!

Jo said...

Jazz, this is great. Can I borrow it?

Do you hear about the woman who jumped out of a plane to celebrate her 80th birthday yesterday? So, are you planning to do that when you turn 80?

You have waaaaaay more courage than I do!

geewits said...

Liver. But I love foie gras. Go figure.

This reinforces my belief than anything can be made to taste well with the right seasonings.

Have a great weekend!

Big Brother said...

Hey lil sister I remember the yellow plastic boat. It had blue plastic wheels underneath it and you just loved it. You must have been about two years old and you were tied to a peg in the middle of the lawn so you wouldn't suicidally go toddling off into the street. So cute but easy to tease since all I had to was stand about 6 inches past the end of your leash. I fell soooo guilty, really I do... ;o)

Anonymous said...

It is a "daaaaaaaaaaaamn long" meme.

But hey! We're going on vacation the very same day! To different continents, but still.

(And this has nothing to do with anything, but I had to tell you: I made spaghetti tonight with "meat-free meatballs." My son said, "I see you've added fake meatballs", and snarfed it down. I thought of you when I made it.

billy pilgrim said...

soccer and toyotas.

if that isn't nice, what is?

i'm still in mourning over zidane's retirement.

Jocelyn said...

The thing is, your answers were so interesting that I didn't notice this was long 'til you told me!

You as a nun?

PULEASE.

Jazz said...

Josie - Fee free. Maybe I'll go shark diving for my 80th... Actually, I want to do that for my 50th.

Geewits - You are So. Damn. Funny!

BB - yeah right. I believe you.

Citizen - Yay for vacations! And I would've snarfed down the meatballs too. I might not be vegetarian, but god knows I don't eat meat all the time...

Billy - Soccer just won't be the same without Zidane... :-(

Joce - yeah, really, me a nun. That lasted about 3 and a half days. Then I went atheist. As vocations go, it wasn't very steady.

pissed off patricia said...

Well, that sure was fun to read. Thanks for sharing so much of yourself.

Ian Lidster said...

I envy you your Montreal smoked meat sangies because there is nothing like them anywhere. I envy your forthcoming voyage to the Antipodes. I do not envy the shit winter you've had.
Fun list. I loved your responses, my friend.