In answer to Furiousball's comment of yesterday: "Holy crap, you guys have 4 parties?", I thought I'd give y'all a crash course on Canadian political parties. I knew there were actually more than four, but who knew there were this many. It's insane, and more than a little ridiculous*:
Registered Political Parties in Alphabetical Order :
(of these, the Conservatives, Liberals, Bloc and NDP and, I believe the Green Party are actually represented in the house of Commons)
- Animal Alliance Environment Voters Party of Canada - Who knew? They're platform is animal rights and the environment
- Bloc Québécois - This party is only present in Quebec. Their "mandate" is to promote Quebec sovereignty at a federal level. Yeah, it doesn't make sense to me either. I've already voted for them though because at least they can't do any real damage.
- Canadian Action Party - ??
- Christian Heritage Party of Canada - As the name says, they want Canada governed according to the bible. I guess I'd be stoned to death.
- Communist Party of Canada - Self explanatory
- Conservative Party of Canada - They are the result of a merge of the Alliance Party (which was previously the Reform party) and the Progressive Conservatives (yeah, I know, that name makes no logical sense whatsoever). They're our Republicans.
- First Peoples National Party of Canada - Speaks for itself.
- Green Party of Canada - Self explanatory. They're gaining in popularity and the head of the Party, Elizabeth May will be allowed to participate in the debate.
- Liberal Party of Canada - Our Democrats. Pretty much to the centre
- Libertarian Party of Canada - Never heard of them
- Marijuana Party - Only in Canada, eh? They want the legalization of pot.
- Marxist-Leninist Party of Canada - Again, pretty self explanatory
- Neorhino.ca - The successor to the Rhinoceros Party of Canada, they're our joke party. Their main election promise - since forever - is to break any election promises they make.
- NDP (National Democratic Party) - They're our lefties, people are saying they might actually make up the official opposition this time though I doubt it.
- Newfoundland and Labrador First Party - New to me
- Progressive Canadian Party - Ditto
- Western Block Party - Like the Bloc Québecois, they promote independence... of Western Canada
These parties are eligible to be registered:
- People's Political Power Party of Canada
- Work Less party
One deregistered party:
- Natural Law Party of Canada - I believe they have something to do with transcendental meditation... bizarre, I know.
And these three have lost their ability to be registered
(you need a certain amount of money and/or people behind you to register a party)
- National Alternative Party of Canada
- The Ontario Party of Canada
- Absolutely Absurd Party
So, there, in a nutshell is the political picture in Canada. And lest we forget, you also have those who are standing for election as independents. Keep in mind that most of these parties also have representation at the provincial level. It's a zoo it is. I just had no idea just how much of a zoo it actually was!
*Info taken from the Elections Canada website. This Wikipedia entry is quite detailed and informative
As an aside: Can anyone tell my why I Blogger isn't doing my hyperlinks anymore and I have to do the href stuff myself now? Am I the only one with this problem?? Seriously, what is going on?