Sunday, October 12, 2008

A meme for the brain dead like me.

.
Rachel posted this meme on her blog recently and it was just too good to pass up... We all like to eat, but how far are we willing to go when it comes to experimentation? None of us are likely to be on Survivor anytime soon, so we won't have to eat yucky stuff in order to stay in the game, but still, one man's yuck is another man's yum, isn't it?

So here are da rools:

From the parent post at Very Good Taste

Below is a list of 100 things that I think every good omnivore should have tried at least once in their life. The list includes fine food, strange food, everyday food and even some pretty bad food - but a good omnivore should really try it all. Don’t worry if you haven’t, mind you; neither have I, though I’ll be sure to work on it. Don’t worry if you don’t recognise everything in the hundred, either; Wikipedia has the answers.

Here’s what I want you to do:
1) Copy this list into your blog or journal, including these instructions.
2) Bold all the items you’ve eaten.
3) Cross out any items that you would never consider eating.
4) Optional extra: Post a comment at www.verygoodtaste.co.uk linking to your results.

Rachel adds another dimension to it:

  • Colour in bold red the items you LOVED, and bold lime green items you HATED

So, without any further ado, Jazz's take on

The Omnivore's Hundred

1. Venison
2. Nettle tea
3. Huevos rancheros
4. Steak tartare
5. Crocodile
6. Black pudding
7. Cheese fondue
8. Carp
9. Borscht
10. Baba ghanoush
11. Calamari
12. Pho
13. PB&J sandwich
14. Aloo gobi
15. Hot dog from a street cart
16. Epoisses (I'm not a huge cheese fan at the best of times, strong stinky cheese even less)
17. Black truffle
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes
19. Steamed pork buns
20. Pistachio ice cream
21. Heirloom tomatoes
22. Fresh wild berries
23. Foie gras
24. Rice and beans
25. Brawn, or head cheese
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper
27. Dulce de leche
28. Oysters
29. Baklava
30. Bagna cauda
31. Wasabi peas
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl
33.
Salted lassi (but I definitely prefer sweet lassi)
34. Sauerkraut
35. Root beer float
36. Cognac with a fat cigar
37. Clotted cream tea
38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O
39. Gumbo
40. Oxtail
41. Curried goat
42. Whole insects (There's a tasting every year at the Montreal insectarium, one of these days I'm going to go)
43. Phaal (I like quite spicy, but there are limits)
44. Goat’s milk
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more (I almost crossed this out, since I don't like whiskey, but hey, maybe this would work for me!)
46. Fugu (I have this thing about surviving my meals)
47. Chicken tikka masala
48. Eel
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut (Not bad when you just taste it, but the greasy taste that stays in your mouth is disgusting)
50. Sea urchin
51. Prickly pear (Well actually, not quite yet, but I have one ready in the fruit bowl)
52. Umeboshi
53. Abalone (I'm of two minds on this one, probably a no since I'm really not that big on seafood, but I'd probably try a taste...)
54. Paneer (at any rate I've had Saag Paneer, if not the cheese by itself)
55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal (been there done that, won't try it again anytime soon)
56. Spaetzle
57. Dirty gin martini
58. Beer above 8% ABV
59. Poutine
60. Carob chips
61. S’mores
62. Sweetbreads
63. Kaolin
64. Currywurst
65. Durian (despite its less "nice" name of stinkfruit, it tastes surprisingly good - at least in Vietnam it does, maybe the exoticsm?)
66. Frogs’ legs
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake
68. Haggis (Not so big on offal myself)
69. Fried plantain
70. Chitterlings, or andouillette (See 68 above - although Mr. Jazz pointed out that I had intestines in a Chinese Dim Sum place. Having tried it once, I can safely say I really don't get hungry enough to eat this. If ever I'm starving, I promise I'll consider it, until then.... meh)
71. Gazpacho
72. Caviar and blini (I've had them, but not together. Hate the caviar, love the blini)
73. Louche absinthe (I'd taste it, but i really dislike licorice-y tastes)
74. Gjetost, or brunost
75. Roadkill (but I ate at a place in NH called the Roadkill café)
76. Baijiu
77. Hostess Fruit Pie
78. Snail
79. Lapsang souchong
80. Bellini
81. Tom yum
82. Eggs Benedict
83. Pocky
84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant. (I wish!!!)
85. Kobe beef (see comment above)
86. Hare
87. Goulash
88. Flowers
89. Horse (makes a kick ass tartar!!!)
90. Criollo chocolate
91. Spam
92. Soft shell crab
93. Rose harissa (I've had harissa, but I've never heard of rose harissa - so half of that one)
94. Catfish
95. Mole poblano (A good chicken mole is amazing)
96. Bagel and lox
97. Lobster Thermidor
98. Polenta
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee (too bad I hate coffee, I hear this is the best)
100. Snake (I almost got to that one in Vietnam, unfortunately, the restaurant didn't have any - or something at any rate).


Actually, I'm quite surprised at how many of these things I've tried... Who knew.
.

12 comments:

SUZAN BUCKNER said...

lol..I have eaten snake, and a lot of it. One of my uncles runs a rattlesnake rodeo here in Alabama...LOL LOL

Susan Tuttle said...

Looks like I must start sampling some new foods!

susan
xo

geewits said...

I have no interest in trying weird foods but oddly a lot of these foods seem totally normal to me:
eggs benedict, catfish, gumbo, beignets, root beer float, clam chowder in a sourdough bowl, sauerkraut, baklava, oysters,... okay and about 4 or 5 more. So I almost think it would be more interesting for people to say which foods they think are normal, odd (sea urchin) and totally bizarre (roadkill).
I'm surprised you have never had another fruit wine. I had some sort of berry wine that was homemade when I was about 18 and my face burst into flames and I think I got permanent brain damage. And I bet you have had heirloom tomatoes in a restaurant and just didn't know it. It was fun reading the list and I didn't get too queasy. Bon Apetit!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I have found your website after looking for snake wine information, but what about snake wine here ?! Snake wine is an asian beverage but I can't find it on your website: http://www.asiansnakewine.com/'

Thanks for help.

VioletSky said...

Hmm, apparently I'm a pretty good omnivore. Or maybe I like trying weird foods more than I thought. Many of them only once, though.

Jocelyn said...

I'm surprised at how much of this stuff I've tried...and how much I've never even had the opportunity to try. And I'm with you: I've had harissa but never heard of rose harissa.

Off to Google "Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee."

Ian Lidster said...

Have consumed a lot of these, and have loved some and hated some. I am going to have to work through the list.

Anonymous said...

You're not doing too badly! I posted an entire page on my blog for this list and I go back and cross stuff off as I try it.

Carolyn said...

hmmm... i don't know what half of these things are!

Jazz said...

Suzan - what on earth is a rattlesnake rodeo?

Susan - I try really hard not to "hate" it without trying it. I draw the line, however at offal.

Geewits - Honestly, the roadkill is a mystery to me. The ravens love it, leave it to them.

Violetsky - Once is often enough!

Joce - I was surprised at how many things I'd tried also. I guess that comes from being with Mr. Jazz, who is and adventuresome eater to say the least.

Ian - Maybe you can do it alphabetically.

XUP - cool.. I don't think you can have "extra" pages in the same blog on blogger though. Unfortunately. And I just haven't got the patience to move somewhere else.

Carolyn - Time to do some culinary exploration...

Anonymous said...

I have tried a number of things (many of them in earlier carnivorous days) - I'm generally a fairly adventurous eater.

choochoo said...

I luves cheese:DDD