Monday, August 20, 2007

What I did this weekend.

First off, to answer Jocelyn's question, this weekend at the cottage, I peed in the toilet. And even flushed once in a while. And had a shower. And all other manner of good stuff. Because the septic tank seems to have decided that it would gain nothing from a strike other than getting its ass fired, and began working again. Go figure.


Of course, this doesn't mean it's not going to get its ass fired. Because that tank? It is so fired. However, this gives us a bit of breathing room in order to get the damn thing done right. This is a good thing, truly a good thing.


So I spent Saturday sleeping, sleeping, and when I was done with that sleeping some more. We were in bed before 11 on Friday, got to sleep eventually (any more details would be TMI and would boost my blog rating to X up from R), woke up at 10:30, had a snooze on the couch at 1:00 and got back up about 4:30, and went to a friend's place for dinner. And verily, it was good. Indeed it was. Yep yep.


During my few hours of wakefullness on Saturday, I watched Red, a tiny red squirrel - damn, we're good at original names! - who hangs out in the bird feeders, chase away a huge mother of a black squirrel. This black guy, I swear, is the size of a 4 month old kitten. Monstrous thing it is, but very very timid. Diminutive though he is, Red is a badass scrapper and made short work of the black guy. It was brilliant, though I felt sort of sorry for the big galute. Of course, Red is the same guy who stole what was left of my pear last week. The core was bigger than he was. Note to self: make sure Red always has plenty of birdfeed, or you might just forfeit your life.

10 comments:

ticknart said...

Are the squirrels' tales really that short? They look weird. Are they mostly ground squirrels then?

I wish we had colorful squirrels around here. All I see are the grey.

Ian Lidster said...

I know some people think squirrels are tree-borne rats, but I like them. Yesterday I swerved in order to avoid rendering one of them road-kill. I thought that was very decent of me. Cute photo.
And, I am glad your potty is working. Makes life much more pleasing.

Big Brother said...

Aren't squirrels rats with bushy tails? Just wait until he finds a way into your house. Your septic tank has probably unblocked because it is now flowing into your or your neighbour's water supply, or maybe directly into the lake in front or something of that nature...;o)

Unknown said...

You know, reading this blog makes me really appreciate my sewer system. I think I'll go give it a hug right now.

geewits said...

I'm glad you got to relax at your cabin this time. I'm pretty sure that's why you bought it. Our squirrels are pretty big here, but they are just dull grey, no pretty red squirrels in Texas.

Jazz said...

Tick - Yeah, the tail length is about right. We even have an all white albino squirrel up at the cottage who pops up from time to time.

Ian - I like them too, rodents though they are. I like rats too and would like some as pets, but that is where Mr. Jazz draws the line. So squirrels? Cute and fuzzy as far as I'm concerned.

BB - The squirrels and I have an understanding. As long as they're outside they're cute. As soon as they come in, they're dead. I've had to kill a couple. No fun, but I didn't hesitate for a minute. I have no compassion when it comes to shit on the table.

DD - Um.. how was the hug?

Shall I send some red ones down? I'm sure they'd thrive...

CS said...

I used to have a book as a child about a battle between some red squirrels and some black sqirrels. One set was invading the home of the other, but I can't remember who was considered the heroes. But it was one of my favorie books.

Hageltoast said...

I haven't seen a native red over here for years, just the evil greys. I love squirrels, like rats with bushy tails. :)

Jocelyn said...

And, what? Bumping up to an X rating would be bad?

Jill said...

I love squirrels. When we had a peach tree in our yard, I used watch one of them run along the top of the fence with a peach bigger than his head in his mouth. It would be like me running around with a watermelon in my mouth.