Wednesday, January 24, 2007

The end of envy and a new demographic for TV

Why does any expression that has to do with always incorporate green?
- The green eyed monster
- Green with envy
- The grass is always greener…

Yes. This is how my brain whiles away the time. Pathetic ain’t it?


So yesterday or was it the day before (my brain was too busy debating the merits of green envy to remember) an announcement came out that the CRTC* had approved a new cable TV station in Quebec (or is it across Canada? I don’t know – and there are way too many parentheses in this entry).

That in itself is not news. The news is that the station is geared to a demographic of 0-3 years old. Yep, you saw right: 0 to 3 years old.

Now me? I don’t know from kids. No rugrats here and I don’t really know how they actually function other than the constant crying, eating and pooping in diapers thing. However, seeing the number of hours kids spend in front of the idiot box each week – and the number of articles denouncing same, do babies really need to be indoctrinated so young? Am I missing something here? Do four month olds really need to watch TV?

Of course, you might also argue that since some parents are parking their kids in front of the TV anyway, they might as well be watching something geared to their age group. Who knows?

Or am I just a curmudgeonly (that word again!) old broad who really needs to get with the times?

*The Canadian Radio/Television and Telecommunications Commission – they decide, in their infinite wisdom, what we can watch or listen to.

PS: Amazing though it might seem, I actually finally did update my blog links. Bow down before my great intelligence and html knowledge. Or not...

13 comments:

Evil Spock said...

Gets excited about updated blogroll . . .

Looks over . . .

Evil Spock is heading to the crying place now. Perhaps some naked fun in the fountain is what the doctor ordered . . .

Jazz said...

ES - now now, no need to get overwhelmed by emotion. To paraphrase Sally (and Ian): I like you, I really really like you!

ticknart said...

The thing about this new channel is that it's not about the kids. It's about the parents. Now they have a channel, that claims to be good for toddlers, on TV so they don't have to buy the Little Einstein DVDs to pretend that they're doing something good for their kids, when they really just want to shut them up and walk away from them.

Big Brother said...

You're right. How ridiculous can you get. Are the rug rats goin' to watch the commercials too. Our children are already way too regimented and sedentary. Used to be that we would spend the day outside, (yes even in winter) playing with the neighbourhood kids. In fact we'd head out in the morning come in at noon when mom yelled for us (yes they did that in those days), ate at the speed of light and then scooted outside again. Now they sit inside in front of the computer and chat. That's is why we have so many out of shape kids today.

Big Brother said...

I hate those coloured letters you have to copy. I never type or think fast enough so that the letters are still accepted when I finish my comment. I then have to re-write another set to publish it.

Dave said...

You are so right... I don't think that kids need a specialized channel like this. Only encourages parents to use it more for a babysitter. However, on the flip side, hopefully there will be no adult content on them... Also wondering if it runs late into the night? Hmmmm...

Good food for thought. I like your blog... Thanks for visiting mine!

Jazz said...

Tick - Little Einstein? What the hell is that?

BB - those coloured letters are called word verification... c'mon you can do it! Concentrate.

Dave - I hadn't thought of that! Toddler TV at 3:00 am LOL

ticknart said...

Jazz, Little Einstein is a series of videos marketed to parents of children in the 0-3 range that claim if you have you're kids watch them they'll grow up smarter. Sort of like all that Motzart effect stuff, but with pictures. (I've never actually watched them, but I've seen them around the houses of people I know with little kids. I'm looking forward to seeing what kids raised on these things will be like.)

Steven said...

It ain't easy being green. - Kermit the Frog. ;)

Steve~

choochoo said...

My top is green today. Just thought I'd mention it.

Jazz said...

Tick - scary

Steve - it is indeed tough being green.

Choo - who are you envying today?

choochoo said...

I envy no one. I am a beacon of inner peace.

Jazz said...

Beacon of inner peace??? Bwahahahahahahahahaha. Chooch, may I remind you that you envy anyone who doesn't live in Hellhole.