Tuesday, January 23, 2007

The green eyed monster

Got an email from a couple of friends last week. Every time I get an email from them I can't help but wonder where it's from.

Mr. Jazz and I met these people in Nepal when we went there for the second time. They were on a year long journey through Asia. When they sent the most recent email, they had just arrived in Bangkok on their way to Myanmar.

Last January, they left home for an eight month trip in South America. When they got home (in the south of France) they stuck around for a couple of weeks then travelled by bicycle to Turkey and back.

Now, about a month later they’re off to Asia – for several more months.

No, they aren’t independently wealthy. They work for a couple of years, then sell everything they own and backpack until there’s no money left.

Then rinse, repeat.

Though I’ve travelled a fair bit (at least in comparison with most people), I really envy them their lifestyle.

I envy them their capacity to not get bogged down by things.

I envy their ability to dump all things material except what can fit in a backpack and just leave for a year or more at a time.

As I sit here at my the office, I envy them their talent for living the life they want to live, with no compromises and no trade offs - well, except having to work a couple of years to get the money together to leave for yet another couple of years (which all in al doesn't seem like a huge trade off).

I envy them the guts it takes to actually live like this. I find I'm sadly lacking in the guts department.

12 comments:

Evil Spock said...

Wow, that's something I need to do. Stupid student/credit card debt keeps me from being more free.

Jazz said...

But I thought Evil Spock was going to take over the world!

Jill said...

The first thought through my head was "I bet they're not saving for retirement! What's going to happen when they're too old or sick to work??"

What a perty-pooper. I'm entirely too sensible to enjoy that kind of life, and not in a good way. Plus I like having stuff.

Jazz said...

Jill - True, but what an amazing life... I like things too though, but I'd really like to like 'em much less, ya know?

choochoo said...

hfWhenever I e-mail you, it's from Hellhole. I can be your counterweight:D

Ian Lidster said...

I too love to travel, and Wendy and I have often talked about people who have the cojones to do what your friends have done, and have wondered, like you, whether we could do it, too. My problem is I am probably to creature comforts oriented, and backpacking in Nepal would not be so comfortable. I'd rather sip a cafe au lait in a French cafe, or at the Starbucks up the street. Interesting post.

Ian

Big Brother said...

Hey so they went back to Asia again huh. Didn't they also participate as pit crew in the trans sahara race or something of that nature? They were great fun in Nepal and yes I also envy them. But we all have to make choices in life, and mine and Mrs. BB was to have kids... (great kids by the way well worth staying home for) So now since the kids are all grown up (kind of gives away my age doesn't it) we are traveling as much as we can, won't give up my job just yet. (hey I like teaching)but when you teach you do have summer vacations. In fact we're going to Tunisia for the march break, short but should be fun. ;o)

Jazz said...

Choochoo - well, Hellhole is exotic. I guess. Sorta... um... naw, I didn't think you'd believe that. Hellholle is just bizarre.

Ian - I think I could do pretty well without lots of stuff - except my books. As for Nepal, yeah, backpacks and altitude sickness do not comfort make. Been there done that. But I still envy them.

BB - Yeah, they did do the sahara thing... And are you sucking up to the kids 'cause you know at least one of them reads this? And Tunisia? I can't top that. Paris in April for a Marillion show is all I can offer...

Big Brother said...

hey April in Paris isn't too shabby. In fact I love April in Paris, not too hot, not too cold just right. The trees are in bloom and the weather was really nice the last time I went there. ;o)

Jazz said...

It sure as hell ain't Tunisia though... Never been to Tunisia. Well, the grass is always greener and all that... How come the colour green is always involved in envy?

Dave said...

You know Jazz, that is me through and through only I have yet to take the first step! I would envy them as well. I think I will forward this post to a good friend of mine as she is of the same persuasion... to travel the world. Thanks for sharing this and thanks for visiting me! :-)

Jazz said...

Dave - the visit was my pleasure, I'll be back. Glad to know I'm not the only one who would like to have it in me to live this kind of life...