Friday, June 15, 2007

Saccharine alert!

Have you ever had one of those perfect hours?

Friday’s lunch hour was one such….

The sun was shining, it was hot, but not too hot because of the breeze they had going. Not that it can be too hot. The Jazzer loves hot, even hot and humid. All work and no play might make Jack a dull boy, but anything that’s not cold makes Jazz a happy girl.

I went for lunch at Westmount Square. There was no one in line ahead of me for my Chicken Pad Thai, and since the cook wasn't busy, he got extra bean sprouts because he knows I love my sprouts in Pad Thai…

The table I like best, the one under the skylight was empty.

I started reading a book that I pulled me in from the first page, Our Lady of the Lost and Found. I love when that happens.

There were a couple of over-lifted Westmount ladies to marvel at. And another lady who actually had kept her wrinkles and whose face looked lovely and lived in.

After lunch I went to Nicholas Hoare to browse the books. On the way over, I stopped at a clothes shop, but didn’t go in because I knew trying anything on would totally break the spell of lusciousness I was under. Yay for me.

Nic’s was, as usual, sublime – I love small bookstores because they actually smell of books. And this one? They have such good books. Only the cream of the crop.

On the way back to work I talked with a dog, I watched some pidgeons puttering around looking busy busy busy. I smelled new mown grass and noticed how the blue of the sky and the green of the leaves matches ever so well.

Mr. Jazz emailed me compliments for the collage I made for his birthday from three of his colleagues. Embarrassing but nice.

It was one of those moments of pure and perfect happiness. I love that it takes so little to keep me happy.

Luckily this doesn’t happen to me too often, it would make for a totally saccharine, boring blog. Maybe I can blame hormones. Yep, that's what it was, hormones.

15 comments:

Jill said...

Mmm, sounds like a lovely hour. It's good to have those every now and then, if only to contrast with the rest of life.

Ian Lidster said...

I'm happy for you to have had such a happy time. I cherish moments like the one you describe.
And I (like you) cherish warmth (of all types) so would you please be so generous to send some warmth to this coast. Any kind of warmth will do.
Ian

choochoo said...

I'm on vacation. That makes me happy. Happyhappyhappy. So... working, eh? :P

ticknart said...

I envy you your excellent bookstore. Even if the books there were crap, the smell of books is worth a visit to a nice, small place.

Jo said...

Don't you just love perfect days like that? Everything seems right with the world. That's my kind of day, nice lunch, perfect book store, sunshine. That is that yellow thing in the sky, isn't it? I have forgotten; I haven't seen it for six months. Send a little our way...!

Cheers,
Josie

Voyager said...

I love your description. Sounds like it was bliss.

Evil Spock said...

I love old bookstores too. My fave was visiting Shakespeare and Co. in Paris with none other than The Collective.

Jazz said...

Jill - from what I saw this morning, you definitely need one these days.

Ian - I would send warmth to your coast, but does it mean I have to give up mine? In that case... nope.

Chooch - shaddap

Ticknart - Yep, there is nothing like the smell of books

Josie - As I said to Ian - not if it deprives me... I'm evil that way.

Voyager - Bliss. Yep. That about covers it.

Evil Spock - The Collective mentioned in my blog? *Swoon*

Unknown said...

Yes lil' sister there are days like that, Do you remember the day in Nepal when we were on the trail above Pangboche, the sun was glorious, the temperature balmy, there were no other hikers and we were feeling great? Also in the BIC provincial park with Mrs. BB, sitting in a little cove with the tide lapping at our feet as we sat there reading a Cadfael Mystery... Anyhow, how come you like the heat so much? I'd rather cool weather than hot makes it easier to get around.

Big Brother said...

Yes lil' sister there are days like that, Do you remember the day in Nepal when we were on the trail above Pangboche, the sun was glorious, the temperature balmy, there were no other hikers and we were feeling great? Also in the BIC provincial park with Mrs. BB, sitting in a little cove with the tide lapping at our feet as we sat there reading a Cadfael Mystery... Anyhow, how come you like the heat so much? I'd rather cool weather than hot makes it easier to get around.

Big Brother said...

Don't know how the d came to be but anyhow you have twice the words of wisdom

Unknown said...

If you had a perfect life, you'd have to lie to make a better blog. That's what I do.

Or maybe not.

geewits said...

When I have that euphoric feeling of bliss, I always think, "I wish I could put some of this in a little bottle and save it." I'm glad you had your perfect hour. I'm pretty much overdue for my next one. And a happy blog does not make for a boring blog. I LIKE happy blogs!

Anonymous said...

This was delish. ;D
Glad it was such a fab Friday!
Vxo

Jazz said...

BB - Don't you go getting all schizophrenic on me... Is D the voice in your head?

DD - So what's the lie? That you lie or that you don't? My head hurts...

Geewits - wish I had a recipe I could send you to get the perfect hour... It's coming, I'm sure. It's in the little things.

V - Hell, I'm glad too...